For many years marketers advertised and sent potential clients to homepages and hoped ROI would be great. Nowadays, we know better. We have analytics and are able to measure the benefits of our advertising campaigns. We can monitor how much we’ve spent and how much revenue the advertising campaign has returned.

In this article, I will share a video how to create your landing pages with WordPress and the most used page builder: Elementor

But first off, let me tell what the purpose of a landing page is.

The use of a landing page

A landing page has the unique ability to convince latent visitors to become a client within seconds. The page is specifically created to promote a call 2 action. This can be signing up for a newsletter, a service or purchasing a product.

It doesn’t matter what product or service you’re promoting.

Typically a landing page is a separate page and may look different than your corporate site.

It’s recommended to include your logo or some other reference to your brand. You don’t want the user guessing who the page belongs to.

Research has proven you only have a few seconds of attention from a latent visitor, max 8 seconds. Which means, the average visitor will spend less than 8 seconds on your page.

Therefore the landing page has to be well designed, simple, sufficient call 2 action buttons and at the same time no distractions (such as links to your homepage).

The landing page should be easy to read and focus on one kind of user interaction only, just like a road sign.

I’ve seen landing pages with two different call 2 actions — one big bright button for a newsletter signup, the other for purchasing the product.

That doesn’t make too much sense because it’s too confusing. Research has proven the need to keep landing pages as simple as possible.

Seems logical, right? Well, in real life with real products and services, creating useful landing pages has proven not to be as easy as it looks.

Creating a landing page can be done by anyone with little HTML skill – but creating the landing page is only 10 per cent of the actual work.

90 per cent of creating a landing page has to do with all the steps before launching a marketing campaign.

A landing page can only be a successful tool if the page meets the visitors’ expectations. So you need to know who your visitors are.

Let’s say you’re a web designer and you bought some Google Ads with the text “We’re the best WordPress designers in….”. Some people may click and land on your landing page.

But what if the content on the landing page is about the greatness of Joomla (another CMS). Chances are, no one will click on that call 2 action button.

Visualising user flows improves your campaign

This bit is where I could spend hours on end talking about maximising the benefits of marketing automation. But instead, I’ve chosen to share one of my marketing automation setups for one of my dear clients. Don’t get excited yet: I’m not sharing company names :o)

So here goes:

Landingpage Flow
Click to enlarge

What I have done here is created a visualisation of multiple traffic sources which you can see by the black circled number 1 and number 2.

The landing page, in this case is the Free e-Pub.

Traffic sources in group 1: Direct traffic, LinkedIn ads and Facebook Ads and land on the blog post.

We created an interesting blog post which educates before we try and sell the product.

Traffic from group 2 also contains three traffic sources: Google, Bing Organic and Linkedin Organic (posting the blog post content).

I also estimated the number of visitors from each source and plotted percentages of people converting to the next level.

At the end of the total cycle, I can calculate the expected amount of conversions.

This visualisation is that 90% of the work I referred to above, the other 10% is creating the pages.

Because I’ve visualised and calculated the user flow and conversions, I will be able to report to my client and tweak if targets aren’t reaching expectations.

If you look closely, you will also see I’m directing people who don’t want the deal, to try and get them to sign up to a newsletter.

What we’re trying to do is maximise the campaign success for our client.

Creating an effective landing page

I’m a WordPress fan for many reasons, but one of the core reasons is the ease to create any template you want.
Page builders such as Divi, Beaver Builder, Oxygen and my personal favourite of them all: Elementor.

In this video, you can see how easy it can be to create a useful and practical landing page.

I hope this article has helped you understand the necessity of creating landing pages. The importance to keep your text simple, yet understandable (like a road sign). Make sure you figure out decent user flow, visitor expectations and try and calculate conversion estimates.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment below.